Captek is a unique gold composite coping that is used for fabrication of fixed dental prosthesis. Reinforced with optimal amounts of platinum and palladium chips, Captek copings are exceptionally strong and durable, even more so than the metal-ceramic and all-ceramic prostheses.
The Gold Composite Technology
Nowadays, base metal alloys are being increasingly used for the fabrication of copings for fixed dental prostheses. The use of gold in fabrication of fixed denture copings has become a thing of the past now. However, Captek has revolutionized dentistry offering gold composite copings that are not only much safer than the base metal alloys, but they are also quite durable and strong.
How are Crowns Fabricated from Captek Copings?
Fabrication of fixed partial dentures by using Captek copings requires essentially the same procedure that is carried out for ceramic and metal-ceramic restorations. First, reduction of the tooth that has to receive the prosthesis is performed to create space for the cementation of the gold-composite crowns or bridges. Next, an impression of the prepared tooth is sent to the laboratory where a gold coping is prepared. Finally, a layer of composite is built over the gold coping so as to provide optimal esthetics and to match the shade and color of the adjacent natural teeth. The completed restoration is then cemented over the prepared tooth.
Why you Should Choose Captek?
- Biocompatibility – compared with the base metal alloys, Captek coping are highly biocompatible owing to their high noble metal content. Not only do they carry minimal risk of any kind of allergy, but they also do not cause any gingival irritation or infection.
- Protection of the Oral Structures – the Captek copings possess an inherent “shock absorbing” potential. As a result, they cause minimal damage to the underlying jaw bone and the surrounding soft tissues.
- Excellent Esthetics – the Captek copings have a gold color, which perfectly matches with the yellowish tinge of the dentine and reddish hue of the dental pulp. Therefore, Captek coatings provide the perfect base, over which highly esthetic porcelain or composite veneers, crowns and bridges can be placed that exactly match the shade and color of the adjacent teeth.
- Oxide Free – copings prepared from base-metal alloys have a drawback that oxides can leach out from them, not ony resulting in gingival irritation but also causing discoloration of the porcelain or ceramic. The Captek gold copings prevent oxide formation, thereby ensuring that there is no discoloration of the overlying porcelain or composite.
- Excellent Fit – Captek copings are prepared directly on the tooth die, thereby providing a highly precise and accurate fit of the prosthesis. Besides, Captek copings can also be swedged, even before layering of the porcelain or composite is performed over it. This allows the laboratory technician to adjust the fit of the prosthesis as per requirement.
- Thin Copings – with Captek reinforced gold copings, you can prepare very thin copings that allow you to maximize the thickness of the ceramic layers over your prostheses, thereby enhancing their esthetics and your smile.
- Durability – since an oxide layer does not form over the Captek gold copings, crowns and bridges prepared from them do not undergo corrosion, and therefore last much longer than the copings that are prepared from base metal alloys.
- Compatible with all types of Margins – with Captek, you can provide any type of tooth-restorative margin that you think is best for your patient.
Situations Where the Captek Provides the best Results
Although Captek gold copings can be used in all cases, they are ideal for fabrication of dental prostheses in the following clinical scenarios:
- Subgingival Margins – When subgingival margins are to provided, gold copings prevent inflammation and allergy of the gums.
- Endodontically Treated Teeth – teeth that have been endodontically treated become brittle and require maximal reinforcement. Captek gold copings are ideal in these cases as they have been reinforced with Indium and Palladium.
- Patients with High Caries and Periodontal Infection Risk – gold copings prevent plaque and calculus accumulation. Therefore, they for tooth restoration in patients who have a high dental caries index.
- Cardiac Patients – in cardiac patients, it is extremely important to provide restorations that prevent plaque or calculus accumulation as the bacteria can travel into the cardiac valves and cause endocarditis. Since Captek prevents plaque and calculus accumulation, it is best for restoring teeth of cardiac patients.
- When Restorations over Implants are to be Provided – Captek gold copings provide excellent results when they are used to prepare crowns or bridges, which are placed over dental implants.
Owing to their numerous favorable properties, Captek gold crowns are gaining widespread popularity throughout the world. The day is not far when younger dentists and laboratory techicians would prefer using gold copings over those fabricated from base metal alloys.
How much does a Captek crown cost?
Captek is a high quality porcelain fused to gold crown, therefore the price of this crown is usually a bith higher than other porcelain fused to gold crowns. In the US usually starts around $800 and can easily go significantly higher. However the $800 - $1000 range is probably the most common.
If you want to know more about the factors that affect the price of a dental crown, read our article about crown costs here.