Even though gold is a great materail to restore a tooth with a dental crown, patients don't like this material because of its color. Read this page to learn more about the advantages of this type of crown.
Gold crowns are not a very popular choice among patients as it does not have much aesthetic appeal. They are suitable for patients who are in the habit of biting strong food substances along with clenching and grinding.
Gold crowns offer increased durability and are suitable for the back teeth like the molars so that they are not visible.
Forms of Gold crowns
- Full gold crowns- they are made to cover up the whole tooth up to the gum line.
- Gold inlays- these are gold castings used to replace particularly those areas where a distinctive filling has to be placed.
- Gold onlays- they are equally strong as full crown but have reduced tooth width reduction and the edges do not touch the gum line.
Reasons for preferring Gold crowns to other crowns
- When a tooth is restored with gold crown, there is very less tooth width reduction and a good portion of the tooth and enamel is left untouched.
- Restoration with gold crown does not result in nerve problems and bleeding of the gums as compared to other crowns.
- Gold crowns are very durable and are less abrasive than the other types.
- Gold castings fit more accurately and perfectly on the prepared tooth but the porcelain ones shrink when applied.
- Gold restorations serve for a long period and are sometimes preferred for their longevity.
A gold crown is generally costly as the price of gold is very high but is not a problem for affluent patients. Even though gold crowns are not 100% gold, since the crown wouldn't be hard enough.
Gold crowns are a comfortable and safe option to choose as it is very compatible with the interiors of the mouth. The chances of allergic reactions are minimal in this case.
Gold restorations last for up to 20 to 40 years.
Another important advantage of using gold for crowning is that the rate at which gold contracts and expands is similar to that of natural tooth. This prevents the gold from cracking, chipping and breaking away from the tooth. Also, the smoothness and purity of gold is commendable and does not stain or darken over time.
The fitting that a gold crown provides is better as compared to the porcelain ones and this is also the reason for its long life. Gold crowns do not undergo fractures like the porcelain crowns. A major disadvantage of porcelain crowns is that they scrape the opposite teeth faster than a natural tooth but gold does not do so. Again, gold is a metal which is very smooth as compared to other metals. Porcelain crowns are rough and bacteria added food particles can easily stick to it increasing the chances of infections but gold can be cleaned easily.
Tissues surrounding a gold crown stay healthier as compared to porcelain as irritation and sensitivity is minimized. This becomes beneficial as one ages.
How much does a gold crown cost?
The price of a gold crown not only depends on your location, the size of the crown and the experience of the dentist, but also on the price of the gold. This is another factor that makes it hard to give a good estimate of the price, however if you are in the US, the price you pay will likely be around $1000 - $1200, maybe a bit more.
Because of its aesthetic appeal, people usually prefer porcelain fused to gold crowns (PFG crowns) instead of pure gold crowns. The price is basically the same and PFG crowns have both the advantages of a gold crown and the aesthetics of a porcelain crown. Both pure gold and PFG crowns are ideal for back tooth restoration.
How to Save on Gold Crowns?
Discount dental plans offer an easy way to save 20% - 50% on your dental treatment. You only need to show your card at a participating dentist (over 40,000 locations in the US) and you'll pay the reduced rate. No waiting period, no paperwork or claims process.
If you know you need a gold crown, apply for a card here and you'll be able to save a couple of hundred dollars on that single treatment. If you need any additional treatment, your savings will be even larger.