Long lasting, highly aesthetic, more and more popular and expensive. These are the main properties of an Emax crown, which is one of the best choices to restore a front tooth. Read about the benefits, preparation and advantages of Emax crowns.
What is the Emax System?
Emax is an all-ceramic system that is based on Lithium disilicate glass, and consists of quartz, lithium dioxide, phosphoroxide, alumina, potassium oxide and trace elements.
Emax based all-ceramic prostheses are rapidly gaining widespread popularity in cosmetic dentistry due to their excellent esthetics, durability, and strength.
The Emax system is mainly indicated for fabrication of crowns and veneers in the anterior region. However, short-span bridges in the anterior region can also be prepared from the Emax system.
Who can Benefit from the Emax System?
The Emax all-ceramic offers a cosmetic solution for the correction of following esthetic defects:
- Stained Teeth – say goodbye to your stained teeth with the Emax crowns and veneers. These all-porcelain prostheses are highly translucent and possess excellent fracture and chipping resistance.
- Crooked Teeth – Emax crowns can also be used to restore the structure and shape of crooked teeth, especially in the anterior region.
- Root Canal Treated Teeth – Teeth on which a root canal procedure has been performed, tend to become brittle and fragile. Emax crowns offer an excellent blend of esthetics as well as strength for restoring such teeth.
- Fractured Teeth – teeth that get fractured either due to extensive cavities or trauma, can also be restored with Emax crowns.
How are Emax Crowns Prepared?
Next, a digital impression of your teeth will be made. This impression is then transmitted into the computer that controls the milling procedure.
Finally, the milling machine cuts the monolithic block of Lithium disilicate to produce the required shape of the prosthesis.
What are the Benefits of the Emax System?
Emax system based prostheses possess several advantages, which make them ideal for fabrication of fixed prostheses in the anterior region:
- Best Match to your Natural Teeth – an important esthetic requirement for all-ceramic prostheses is that they should possess sufficient translucency that matches your natural teeth. Emax crowns possess an ideal blend of translucency and lifelike appearance, that makes them suitable for restoration of front teeth.
- All-ceramic Prostheses – Emax based prostheses do not contain any metal alloy beneath the porcelain. This means that a unsightly grey line of the underlying metal will not be visible under the gumlines, and the crowns will look just like the natural teeth.
- Durability – Emax crowns are prepared from lithium disilicate, which is a glass ceramic and possesses excellent strength. Thus, Emax crowns are less likely to crack or fracture during clinical usage.
- Ability to be Milled – another benefit of Emax crowns is that they can be quickly fabricated by using CAD CAM milling. Emax crowns are prepared from a high quality monolithic block of Lithium disilicate. All the dentist needs to do, is to prepare the teeth, make a digital impression and feed It into the CAD-CAM machine software, and voila! Emax crowns are ready for cementation!
- Conservation of Tooth Structure – since Emax crowns possess excellent strength and fracture resistance, these crowns can be prepared in very thin sections. This not only ensures optimal esthetics, but also requires minimal removal of natural tooth structure during preparation.
- Multiple Options for Teeth Restoration – the best thing about the Emax system, is that it is not only limited to all-ceramic crowns. Rather, this system can also be used to fabricate veneers, inlays, onlays, overlays, and even short-span bridges to replace front teeth.
How much does an Emax crown cost?
Just like other newer crown types, the enhanced durability and natural look come at a price. Probably the only disadvantage of Emax crowns is their price, they cost more than most other crown types, e.g. PFM crowns.
While it's impossible to provide an exact price here, we tried to gather the usual prices from a few different countries. Please note that prices might differ significantly based on your exact location, the experience of the denstis, the size of the tooth, etc...
How to Save on Emax Crowns?
Discount dental plans offer an easy way to save 20% - 50% on your dental treatment. You only need to show your card at a participating dentist (over 40,000 locations in the US) and you'll pay the reduced rate. No waiting period, no paperwork or claims process.
If you know you need an Emax crown, apply for a card here and you'll be able to save a couple of hundred dollars on that single treatment. If you need any additional treatment, your savings will be even larger.